Tuesday, July 3, 2007

The Catch 22 Lightbulb

I recently wrote an entry about energy saving light bulbs, and how they were a great idea albeit expensive. Figuring I should practice what I preach, I decided to go out and purchase a 6 pack of these bulbs to start off with. In an attempt to get the most bang for my buck, I started reading the specifications of the bulbs on the box. I was shocked to find these bulbs contain mercury. What??!! Needless to say, I didn't bother purchasing any of the bulbs. Why on earth would I want to bring a product containing a known hazardous substance into my home?
Apparently these bulbs have a very low level of mercury in them (about 1/100th of what was once used in dental fillings), but enough to be concerned if the bulb happens to break.
I'm starting to think I'll be one of the people who stockpiles the old energy sucker bulbs before they become illegal to produce and sell (by year 2012 apparently).
I don't want those risky light bulbs in my home. And don't get me wrong here, I care very much about the environment and am all about measures to reduce smog. I am very disappointed though in our government and in a respected figure like David Suzuki, who is promoting these bulbs in commercials.
Have they thought about what will happen when these bulbs start piling up in landfills? Hello mercury being released into the environment. So we are trading one environmental issue for another then?
I really hope manufacturers of the light bulbs can figure out how to make an equivalent bulb with no toxic substances inside. Seeing how far technology has come, it certainly should not be considered an impossibility.

No comments: