Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Look how far we have come…where will we go next?

I have spent some time reflecting on years past and where I am now, and amongst those thoughts is how different the technology I currently enjoy is compared to how it was. If I look back to how things were when I was in middle school and early years of high school (and no I am not a dinosaur, it was less than 15 years ago) it amazes me that back then we had computers in our classrooms, but no internet. No one spoke of the internet or email or shopping online etc, as it was non-existent in our everyday lives. I remember if you went shopping, you either paid by cash or charge card. If you needed to get cash, you had to go to the bank during banking hours, fill out a slip and deal with a teller. Debit cards and bank machines were nowhere to be seen.And does anyone remember the day of the cassette tape, or the vhs? Do stores even sell vcrs anymore? Probably not, I haven’t seen any! No more time wasted rewinding when you can select your track or scene in an instant. And let’s not forget the digital camera…how did we manage without it? Now every picture can be perfect, and pictures plentiful. No more anticipation of picking up your photos just hoping they turned out just right - that no one had their eyes closed, or that the lighting was wrong.Technology has certainly progressed at an amazing quip in a short amount of time. We currently enjoy everyday conveniences that did not exist not too long ago. Yet if we were to think of a world without these things, now it would almost be inconceivable.It leaves me wondering, where will we go from here?

No comments: