Thursday, June 21, 2007

No! Not the blue screen!

The worst thing that can happen to a PC happened to ours on Saturday morning. I went to start up the computer, only for it to come up to a blue error screen giving a cryptic code number paired with the message "hard disk error"...ok, whaaaa?
No matter what I tried, what start up mode etc, the end result was always the same: the dreaded blue screen. I couldn't help but be reminded of the "hi I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" commercial - the one where the PC on the cart had a "fatal error" and was a "goner". For a split second I found myself yearning for a Mac, even though I hadn't set a hand on one since 8th grade.
It's funny (ironic?), my husband and I were talking the other day about how amazed we were that our computer was still working. It's 9 years old you see, with all original parts inside. It would moan and groan the whole time it was on too. These days, to have a computer that old is unheard of.
After being computer-less for the better part of a week, we have since moved on to a faster, smaller, computer that is so quiet you don't even know it's on! I must give kudos though, to our old computer, it did a good job.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I haven't seen the BSOD ("Blue Screen of Death") in what seems like years! It's nice that, with the advancement in technology these days, buying a new computer won't make you go bankrupt. For the same >$1000 I spent 5 years ago, I bought a laptop with about 10 times the power of the crappy PC I got for probably even more!

As for those Mac vs. PC ads, the best thing about Mac is Justin Long advertising for them. YEAH GALAXY QUEST KID RULEZ!!!!